A proper braking system is a guarantee of safety for both the driver with passengers and the car itself. Even in the most reliable models, brakes require constant monitoring and care. In addition to timely replacing brake friction elements and monitoring the level of fluid in the tank of the main brake cylinder (GTZ), the system also requires periodic pumping. Planned preventive work with the brake system is carried out because the fluid loses its initial properties during long-term and active use: viscosity, uniformity, lubricating qualities . There are several cases where unscheduled prophylaxis is needed:
- increased brake pedal travel;
- repair parts of the brake system;
- atypical behavior of the car during heavy braking;
- braking system tuning.
Во всех перечисленных ситуациях требуется pumping brakes. Есть два пути – обратиться в сервисный центр или выполнить работы самому. Для осуществления таких работ в техническом центре есть различные специальные приспособления, которые облегчают прокачку. Дома же придётся прибегать к помощи жены, друга или соседа.
- 1 General rules for pumping brakes
- 2 Tools and equipment for pumping
- 3 Technology pumping brake system
- 4 The procedure for pumping the brakes
- 5 Features pumping brakes with ABS
- 6 The procedure for pumping the brake system with ABS
General rules for pumping brakes
Before you start pumping the brakes directly, fill the tank with brake fluid to the top.
Even if the owner has experience pumping the brakes of other types of cars and a clear understanding of the general principles for performing these actions, you need to carefully study the manual for your model. After all, each car has its own unique design features. How to pump the brakes:
- use for pumping and replacing only the liquid that is compatible with the certificate filled in the GTZ and recommended by the manufacturer;
- use only clean tools, rags, containers and accessories;
- do not use brute force to loosen the fittings on the calipers;
- reliably secure the car in a raised position when removing the wheels;
- carefully check at the final stage the tightening of the disc mounting bolts.
Tools and equipment for pumping
Перед тем how to pump the brakes в своем автомобиле нужно приготовить нехитрые приспособления и материалы для предстоящей работы. Понадобятся:
- two small, but steady capacities for collecting the fulfilled and new liquid;
- pumping hose, tightly worn on the pumping fittings;
- key for loosening fittings;
- wheel wrench;
- clean rags, rags.
For pumping, you can use a dropper tube
It is not difficult to make containers from plastic half-liter bottles, cutting them exactly half the height. As a hose for draining, you can use a tube from a medical dropper, having bought it in advance at a pharmacy. You can buy immediately the whole set of equipment for pumping in the auto shop, without being involved in the selection of random items. While working, all these items should be laid out neatly on a clean plank or a low bench. Dirt and dust on them is extremely undesirable!See also: How to replace the rear brake pads
Technology pumping brake system
Having understood the sequence of pumping the brakes in your car, you should properly organize the place of work. If everything can be done on a hole in the garage without removing the wheels, then the labor and time costs will be much less than with the removal. You must first inspect the device brake calipers and the availability of fittings for the release of air and fluid. Almost always, to perform work, an assistant is needed who will sit in the cabin in the driver's seat and, upon command, in good faith, press the pedal at the right time or slowly release it. The matter is simple, even a child can manage it.
The first wheel is always pumped, which is the most distant from the GTZ. The whole sequence looks like this:
ЗП - ЗЛ - ПП - ПЛ.
Here, the symbols З and П designate the front and rear wheels, and П and Л - right and left. Adhering to such a sequence is easier to achieve the desired result.
The procedure for pumping the brakes
- fill the GTZ tank with liquid to the top;
- remove contaminants around bleed nipples;
- remove rubber protective caps from the unions;
- in the prepared jar pour brake fluid to the bottom;
- put the tube on the bleeder and hide the other end in the liquid;
- the assistant must press the brake pedal several times until it becomes tight and keep it pressed to the stop;
- unscrew the nozzle, and after the failure of the pedal "to polik" again wrap;
- repeat it a few times and do it on each wheel;
- Having achieved the absence of air in the system and the “hard pedal”, tighten all the fittings tightly, put on the caps.
Put one end of the tube on the fitting, and put the other in a container with brake fluid.
In the case when the pedal after done remains soft, you need to check the degree of wear of the friction elements of the brake assemblies. Replace with significant wear.See also: The amount of brake fluid to replace
Features pumping brakes with ABS
Задача несколько усложняется, если автомобиль оборудован антиблокировкой колёс (ABS). Впрочем, если все системы размещены единым узлом, то pumping brakes с АБС производится по аналогии с прокачкой простой системы. Если гидроаккумулятор с гидромодулем расположены в разных узлах, то для прокачки потребуется диагностический сканер. С его помощью будет сниматься информация с электронного блока управления АБС. Обычно таким оборудованием располагают только профессионалы, поэтому профилактику и ремонт системы следует проводить уже на СТО.
Even more difficult if, in addition to ABS, ESP or SBC systems are installed. Work with such vehicles should be carried out by specialists in the conditions of the service center.
During operation of the pressure accumulator, the compression ratio of the fluid in the braking system reaches high values. If at the same time violate the integrity of the line, then there will be a strong release of fluid to the outside. To prevent this, you must first discharge the pressure accumulator by pressing the brake pedal up to twenty times when the ignition is turned off.
The procedure for pumping the brake system with ABS
As is the case with a brake system not equipped with ABS, it is better to invite an assistant to perform a pumping operation. Put the ignition in the zero position, disconnect all connectors from the tank.
The procedure for pumping the brake system with ABS
The front wheels are pumped according to this scheme:
- prepared hose put on the fitting;
- choke turn one turn;
- depress the brake pedal until it stops and keep it in this position;
- monitor the release of the "airy" mixture;
- return the nozzle to its original position, release the pedal.
- fasten the hose to the fitting and unscrew it for 1 turn;
- Squeeze the "brake" until the stop ignition set in the second position. All the time we keep the pedal depressed;
- the pump will start up and expel the air bubbles from the system. Consequently, when the fluid from the hose goes without air, you can close the bleeder and release the pedal.
- the first item is performed in the same way as for the right wheel;
- do not push the brake pedal;
- the pump squeezes out the "impure" liquid;
- Now we press the pedal to half a turn, twist the fitting;
- release the pedal, wait for the pump to stop.
At the final stage, turn off the ignition completely, connect the connectors back to the tank, check the system for tightness.