Car owners who want to separate their “iron horse” from the gray mass of cars similar to it, often think about tuning. This process may have several options:
- External tuning - is to change the appearance of the car. This may be the installation of sports skirts (bumpers, sills, spoilers, etc.), and toning, and pasting with vinyl. As a result, the usual VAZ will look like a Muscle Car or a WRS car, but still drive like a Zhiguli.
- Refinement of the interior - is the work to transform the passenger compartment. There is also unlimited space for fantasy: you can drag the seats, door cards, replace the steering wheel, switches, handles, install lights, etc. In general, you can make any car as comfortable as possible for yourself, would be time and money.
- And, finally, tuning the technical part of the machine. This is a refinement of the engine, suspension, transmission and exhaust system of the car. Making such improvements, car owners pursue one goal - to make your car faster and more pleasant to drive. And if such types of internal tuning as engine refinement are complex and quite expensive, then adding a few horsepower, installing a modified exhaust system, will not be difficult.
- 1 Where to start
- 2 Does it make sense to replace stock muffler on forward flow
- 2.1 Benefits
- 2.2 disadvantages
- 3 Direct flow production
- 3.1 Manufacture of standard muffler
- 3.2 Делаем forward flow from scratch
- 4 Noise insulation
- 5 We achieve the desired sound
- 6 Results
Where to begin
Simultaneous alteration of the passenger compartment, the body and the technical part of the car is a rather problematic and costly occupation, because, most likely, you will not manage without the help of specialists. In addition, if you have one car, then there is a risk of becoming a pedestrian for a rather indefinite period, since apart from money, the total improvement of the car takes a lot of time as well. Therefore, we advise you to make tuning step by step and start with something one. For example, with alteration of the exhaust system of the car.
Does it make sense to replace stock muffler on forward flow
As in any process, when replacing a standard muffler with a homemade straight-through, there are both advantages and disadvantages.
- Change the sound of the exhaust. Many motorists install forward flow only for its powerful sound, attracting the views of others and frightening pensioners. Now you can even specifically pick up the timbre of the sound, which you will like more.
- Power increase. Do not be too flustered about this - without serious modifications to the engine, an increase in a couple of “horses” will hardly be noticeable during everyday driving, although the engine will “breathe” a little easier.
- Incorrectly tuned exhaust sound can not only interfere with others, but also harass the driver himself, especially on long journeys. In this case, the main thing is not to overdo it and approach the process of adjusting the timbre of the sound extremely responsibly.
- Vibration. With increasing load on the exhaust system, the level of vibration will also increase. Therefore, it is unlikely to be able to manage without additional vibration isolation. This is a question of elementary comfort - even the most desperate fan of tuning will not be able to stay in a noisy, but still constantly shaking car for a long time.
- Fuel consumption. A car may start to consume more fuel, due to an at least slight increase in power.
Direct flow production
Если вы все обдумали и недостатки такого глушителя вас не смущают, предлагаем вашему вниманию несколько способов как сделать direct flow.
Manufacture of standard muffler
- Remove the muffler from the car
- Cut the muffler
- We take out from the muffler "insides"
- Making cuts in the pipe
- We cut off the old "tail" of the exhaust pipe and weld the new one in its place
- We weld all elements into a single structure.
For manufacturing we will prepare such materials and tools:
- pipe of suitable diameter;
- welding machine;
- metal scourers for dishes (from 50 to 100 pieces).
So, let's begin:
- We dismantle the regular muffler from the car, after which we cut a piece of metal with the grinder so that it is convenient to get all the “stuffing” out of it.
- In the pipe we make cuts "herringbone" or make a large number of holes (in this case, more useful and drill).
- We cut off the old “tail”, and in its place we weld a new one, a little longer.
- Fill the entire space around the pipe with washcloths, weld the piece of metal into the old place. That's all - forward flow is ready. To give a better visual effect, the muffler can be painted.
As a result, we have a straight-through muffler, outwardly indistinguishable from the standard. In addition, the sound of such a muffler in the cabin is heard only after 2-3 thousand revolutions of the engine, so that on long journeys it will not interfere.See also: Installation of engine preheater 220V
Делаем forward flow from scratch
For this production variant of the muffler, you will have to turn to a turner, from whom you need to order a perforated pipe 42 cm long and a pair of flanges for pipes (130 mm). The pipe is made from a sheet with a thickness of 2 mm. The ordered perforated pipe is wrapped with refractory material to prevent the glass wool from burning, which is laid on top. We weld the resulting construction with the body (pipe with a diameter of 130 mm). The simplest homemade co-current is ready! If desired, it can be painted.
- We order from the turner perforated pipe and a pair of flanges
- We wind pipe with heat-resistant material
- We stuff mineral wool between the pipe and the body
- Welded construction
You can make additional sound insulation direct flow. To do this, we acquire fireproof noise-insulating material and we wrap our muffler with it. After this, it is advisable to wrap the construction from above with a sheet of stainless steel. Sheet thickness must be more than 5 mm. Such additional insulation will help reduce discomfort while driving.
We achieve the desired sound
Most of those who install a straight-through muffler want to get exactly the low bass sound of the exhaust. To do this, you need to study a little theory: the smaller the diameter of the exhaust pipe, the less exhaust gases per unit of time is removed from the engine, and the quieter the sound. Motor power is also reduced accordingly. In order to achieve that volumetric bass sound, for which you started the whole remake of the exhaust system, you need to increase the diameter of the exhaust pipe. As a result, the exhaust is output faster and the sound becomes more powerful.
It must be remembered that more expensive and sophisticated modern cars will require more serious material and time costs for alteration. In addition, you should not neglect the balance between the sound of the forward flow and sound insulation. If you approach the process responsibly, you will not only receive aesthetic pleasure and pride in the result of your efforts, but you will not be inconveniencing other drivers and pedestrians. Good luck in the future alterations!