Adjusting camber and camber is necessary after the repair of the steering or suspension. For example, after replacing the steering gear or tips, racks on front-wheel drive cars. Today it is rare to meet someone who can independently perform this procedure. Frightens the complexity of the procedure. Therefore, most motorists refer to the experts at the service station. Fortunately today there are many devices with which the adjustment of angles is done quickly, efficiently and accurately. Yes, and setting the fishing line, stretched between the wheels, will not be as effective. Modern computer systems equipped with optical sensors, fix the slightest deviations.
- 1 Go to the service station or do it yourself?
- 2 But for what reasons do motorists dislike car service stations?
- 3 Caster and Camber angles
- 4 What should you know when working?
- 5 Self adjustment camber front wheels
- 6 Setting the angle of convergence
Go to the service station or do it yourself?
What is camber and toe-in?
Дедовскими способами, можно вполне неплохо провести регулировку углов на старых иномарках или автомобилях отечественного производства. Впрочем, даже на современных автомобилях ВАЗ можно сделать wheel alignment при помощи зеркал или лески. Дело в том, что конструкция подвески и рулевого управления, используемая сегодня практически не изменилась за последние три десятилетия.
The exception, of course, can only be cars whose steering design is complicated by an electric booster. As for foreign cars, it’s not at all possible to make the adjustment yourself. Designs are quite complex and specific. It is better to give the setting to the hands of a specialist, who will quickly do everything on a computerized stand. And most importantly - the rubber will be intact and will wear evenly, and in most cases on foreign cars, as you know, it is not cheap due to the specific size of tires.
But for what reasons do motorists dislike car service stations?
In fact, there are many reasons, so let's look at the main in more detail.
So, in the first place is the qualification of the specialist who conducts the work. If you know this person on the positive side, you have seen his ideal work and attitude towards her, then there will be confidence in the specialist. But if you see a person for the first time, what are the guarantees that he will make the adjustment correctly?
Schematic representation of positive and negative convergence
Simply put, then doing a similarity collapse, you insure yourself against emergency situations on the road. Therefore, if the equipment on which the adjustments are made is not calibrated correctly, then the effectiveness of the result is doubtful.See also: DIY Power Steering Repair
Much also depends on how good the roads you usually drive. When traveling on uneven surfaces, the need to adjust the angles of convergence occurs more often. This is especially true of rear-wheel drive cars, since the design of the front suspension is complex, consists of a large number of elements, which quickly wear out and form large gaps. The gap between carrying out the camber can be both a month and half a year. If the roads are smooth, the time may increase to a year or more. In cases with domestic cars it would be foolish to give money to the service station every month, it’s easier to do all the work yourself.
Каждый ремонт передней подвески или рулевого управления – это повод сделать wheel alignment do it yourself в собственном гараже. Даже смена резины в межсезонье может послужить нарушения первоначальных настроек. Можно определить верно ли выставлены углы, двигаясь на скорости около 60 км/час по идеально ровному асфальту. Даже при бросании руля автомобиль не должен уходить в сторону (при условии равномерной загрузки).
No less common reason why a motorist does not apply to the service station is the lack of workshops, specialists or equipment to work in the region where this motorist lives. Then it remains only to do everything yourself, otherwise you can harm not only the rubber, but also the car body.
Caster and Camber angles
Perhaps many have heard about the corners of Caster and Camber, but not everyone understands what it is:
What are Caster and Camber angles?
What should you know when working?
The most important thing when adjusting the angles of convergence and collapse is the presence of a perfectly flat platform with a pit under it or a lift. And of course, the tool that will carry out all the work. You can meet digital equipment on the market, but its price starts from 3-4 thousand rubles, which is quite expensive, because in some cases you can make wheel alignment at a service station for this money. If in domestic cars everything is simple - you manage with a standard set of keys, then on foreign cars, as a rule, tricky bolts and nuts are used, for which you need to use a special tool. Caster angle should be 6 degrees. And at front-wheel drive cars should look outside, and at rear-wheel drive inside.See also: Spacers to increase clearance
Self adjustment camber front wheels
If it is right, then there is nothing difficult in the procedure. On front-wheel drive cars that use MacPherson strut, there are two adjustment bolts - they attach the strut to the wheel hub. Moreover, the upper bolt has a washer with an offset center, which allows using the key to adjust the position of the wheel relative to the body. For work you need chalk and a cord with a sinker. Phased camber adjustment:
Angle adjustment with telescopic ruler
- place the car on a perfectly flat surface (on the overpass, pit, lift);
- make two tags on the tire - top and bottom;
- hang the cord, aligning it with the top mark on the tire;
- ruler measure the distance from the lace to the bottom edge of the rim;
- front-wheel drive vehicles should have a distance of 1 mm, while rear-wheel drive vehicles should be up to 3 mm (which is equal to angles of 10 ’and 30’ respectively);
- turn the steering wheel all the way down and return it to its original position, then take repeated measurements and remove the wheel;
- two nuts on the rack mounting bolts to the hub loosen;
- The camber angle is set based on the results obtained using the upper eccentric bolt;
- After adjusting, tighten the bolts, install the wheel and re-measure.
It is worth noting that before starting work you will need to put a load on the front seats of the car (50 kg each). After the front and back of the car swing a few times, for example, hanging in the middle of the body, grasping it. This will allow the springs and shock absorbers to assume a normal condition.
Setting the angle of convergence
Steering wheel adjustment
To work, you must have a telescopic ruler with a scale. The order of work:
- the first three points described in the camber adjustment section must be repeated;
- on the inside of the tires, close to the wheels, apply chalk marks;
- the right and left sides of the telescopic ruler are installed in the marked marks and fixed in this position;
- preventing the adjusting ruler against the elements of the body or suspension, slightly swing the car forward;
- in case there is a change in the distances, it is necessary to change the length of the steering rods (with an increase - to increase, with a decrease - to decrease).
This method of adjustment is particularly suitable for all VAZ cars starting from 2101 and ending with the modern Priory. Only rear-wheel drive (2101-2107) must have the installation of the wheels so that they are slightly screwed inside. Front-wheel drive on the contrary - the front of the wheels look out. Of course, the accuracy of adjustment will be acceptable, but imperfect.