The analogy between a car engine and a human heart, although perceived by many as a stamp, is essentially very accurate. The same can be said about atherosclerosis and corrosion - both processes act destructively. In the first case - in relation to the heart muscle, in the second - in relation to the power unit.
Engine Additives Required
To slow the natural wear of the myocardium using appropriate medications. There are such drugs and automobile motor - additives. They perform a multi-purpose tread function, protecting the engine from all sorts of negative impacts, thereby significantly prolonging the term of its trouble-free service.
Unfortunately, in our country the attitude towards automotive additives is ambiguous, and it is rather difficult to explain why this is happening. Perhaps the reason for the distrust of such additives in the oil is the inert thinking of many car owners, which is fueled by the stories of "experienced" about the alleged engine bust due to the use of notorious additives. Be that as it may, in the west they are an indispensable component of automotive culture, and our young people are not far behind, actively using them where they are needed and where this is not necessary.
What are the additives, what are they used for, what additive is better for the engine - in this article we will try to give answers to all these questions.
Varieties of additives
On the need for routine replacement of oil every motorist knows what is called "from the cradle," that is, since the acquisition of the vehicle. It is possible that many people also know that in most types of motor oils, additives are already present - substances that improve certain performance properties of the lubricating fluid. Of course, over time, the characteristics of the oil due to extreme operating conditions deteriorate, which affects the injectivity of the car and fuel consumption. Adding additives to the lubrication system allows you to extend the life of the engine or transmission, but the "treatment" of the power unit requires knowledge of both the symptoms of the disease and the drugs, which are aimed at treating well-defined pathologies.
Types of additives in the engine:
- conservation - used when it is assumed that the car will not be used for a long time (tens of months);
- regulating the value of the viscosity of the oil in one direction or another, having a seasonal orientation of use;
- anti-corrosion, minimizing the occurrence of corrosion on the walls of the nodes of power units;
- additives that increase engine compression;
- detergents that have a protective effect against any contamination, including carbon;
- antifriction, reducing friction and reducing the rate of wear of parts of the power unit;
- extreme pressure.
The best additives for the engine can significantly increase its resource, but low-quality noname products, in addition to a positive effect, can also have a negative effect - chlorine and paraffin contained in them can settle on the walls of the oil channels over time, leading to a decrease in their throughput. That is why it is absolutely impossible to save on motor additives, if you are actively using them in everyday practice.
All types of additives in motor oil are provided with their unique chemical composition. Consider what are the additives depending on their chemical composition:
- Compounds based on mineral powders - they act as an abrasive, creating a cermet layer on the ground surface of engine parts.
- Based on polyether components and active chlorine paraffin. At present, they are used relatively rarely, although they have undoubted advantages - in a temperature-aggressive medium they work like classical flushing oil, affecting most of the pollutants in such a way as to decompose them into smaller particles that are removed from the lubrication system when changing oil.
- Based on metal-clad components. Their action is based on the penetration into those places that are subject to maximum wear due to friction. Filling minor defects, they contribute to the alignment of the surface, forming a cladding thermochemical layer.
If you intend to buy really the most effective additives for the engine, you must first decide for what purposes you will use it: run-in of the power unit restored after an overhaul, increase the performance of the motor, or simply maximize its life.
It is necessary to take into account both the type of engine and the lubricant used (for synthetics, mineral water and semi-synthetics, different additives are suitable, often incompatible with each other).
Taking into account all the above criteria, you can really extend the life of your car engine.
The motor, unlike the human heart, most of the time is forced to work in extreme conditions. Suffice it to say that the piston in the cylinder moves with a frequency of the order of hundreds of up / down movements in one second. The quality of the lubricant in these modes of operation plays a crucial role. But if you want to delay the aging of the engine as much as possible, the use of modern additives will allow you to get an additional several thousand kilometers. Agree, for the sake of it is worth spending on the purchase of chemical additives in motor oil!
TOP 3 additives for gasoline engines
Since gasoline-powered power units experience greater thermal stress, additives for this type of engine must in any case have high heat resistance. We offer you the rating of the best additives in motor oil for gasoline engines:
- Hi-Gear This chemical product, manufactured in Russia under the license of a famous American brand, is considered the best additive for engines with high mileage. Its action is based on optimizing the friction force between the overloaded parts of the motor. Hi-Gear SMT2 is especially effective for a fairly worn connecting rod / piston group - here, as a rule, over time, tangible gaps form that reduce the efficiency of the engine. One of the main components of the additive is the conditioner of the latest generation SMT2, which allows to reduce the dynamic loads attributable to the friction assemblies of the power unit. As a result of the use of the additive, the engine acquires a second youth, becoming almost the same injectivity as in the first years of operation of the car. As shown by the results of numerous studies, Hi-Gear SMT2 will extend the life of the motor several times. So, its overhaul can be postponed indefinitely. In addition to extending the service life, many motorists note such positive aspects as a result of using the additive, such as more economical fuel consumption and easier start of the engine. At the same time, there are cases when the expected effect was short-lived, and sometimes there were no improvements in the operation of the power unit.
Great selection of additives from Hi-Gear
- Liqui Moly CeraTec. This chemical additive, produced by the famous German company, is considered the best additive for engine oil, providing reliable protection for gasoline powertrains. Its basic component is molybdenum - an organic complex to which microparticles from ceramics are added. It is recommended to use an additive on a regular basis, which allows you to improve the wear resistance of all exposed metal parts of the engine. The pronounced antifriction effect is achieved as a result of the smoothing effect exerted by the unique composition of the additive with respect to all microscopic defects present on the surface of the engine parts and assemblies. The manufacturer claims that the effect of the additive is not short-lived, recommending adding it to the oil every 50 thousand kilometers. Car owners say that when using Liqui Moly CeraTec, the car not only becomes more playful and less voracious, but also runs much quieter. The only drawback of the additive is the high cost, but, as you know, you have to pay for the quality. If we talk about Liqui Moly CeraTec, then this is exactly the case.
- Domestic additive Suprotek Active claims to be the best antiwear agent for gasoline engines. Possessing tribotechnical properties, Suprotec acts differently than most classical additives: it does not change the characteristics of the lubricant, but has a direct impact on the properties and condition of the working surfaces of the engine subjected to friction. The manufacturer positions this product as the best additive for engines with a mileage of at least 50 thousand kilometers, while it can be used both by conventional "aspirated" and turbocharged and accelerated power units. The unique structure of the film formed by the drug, reducing friction in the surface layer, contributes to the partial restoration of defective surfaces, optimizing the size of the gaps, increasing during operation of the vehicle. It has been experimentally proven that the use of Suprotek Active increases the resource of gasoline engines, facilitates cold start, contributes to a certain reduction in the consumption of engine oil, as well as fuel - gasoline or gas.
Popular domestic additive Suprotek Active
Optimal Additives for Diesel Power Units
Although the motors that use diesel fuel as fuel, work in less extreme temperature conditions, they have a number of other problem areas:
- compression drop as parts wear;
- increased noise during operation;
- more smoke and harmful substances emitted during the combustion process.
If you own a car with a diesel engine, we advise you to pay attention to the TOP-3 best additives for diesel engines:
- Bardahl Full Metal - an innovative development of the Belgian company Bardahl, specializing in the manufacture of automotive chemicals. The main purpose of Full Metal - protection of diesel engines with great wear. Through the use of the patented Polar Plus technology, the company was able to significantly increase the adhesion rate of the oil film formed under the influence of the additive. As a result, it does not lose its protective properties even after a long standing car at negative temperatures, protecting parts of the power unit by reducing the gaps in its heart - the piston group. Reduced friction load and other important components of the engine - distribution and crankshaft. Car owners using Bardahl Full Metal, have noted a decrease in diesel fuel consumption. According to numerous tests, the additive also reduces the concentration in the exhaust of burning and soot. This is even noticeable visually - the smoke coming from the exhaust pipe has a lighter shade. Since the composition of the additive does not contain solid particles, it is absolutely safe from the point of view of clogging of oil channels and the oil filter. Again, the main disadvantage of Bardahl Full Metal is the high cost of this product. But if we are talking about the extension of the motor resource, from an economic point of view, the use of an additive is absolutely justified.
- AC-627 is a low-cost domestic development from the company ASTROhim, which can be used as an additive in the lubrication system of both diesel power units and engines running on gasoline. This is, without a doubt, the best universal additive in the engine, which is recommended to use, adding to the oil of cars that have significant mileage. The principle of the additive is to reduce the gaps between the friction parts of the motor, resulting from their wear. The greatest effect is demonstrated on diesel engines, being a long-acting means for sealing pistons. The unique composition of the AC-627 allows you to restore the level of compression to the standard values for the entire range of vehicles - cars and trucks, machinery, construction and agricultural equipment. It is allowed to use an additive with all types of oils, synthetic and on a mineral basis. Due to its optimal composition, the additive is able to exert a tread effect on engine parts for quite a long time, reducing the level of oil and diesel fuel consumption.
Discounts for new cars! Profitable loan from 9.9% installments 0% adom.ru Ahead of companies Astrokim
- Resurs Diesel is another Russian-made oil additive that belongs to the budget class and is designed to protect diesel power units. It is a remetallizant, using an innovative formula of components with the addition of tiny tin and copper particles that do not affect the heat transfer processes in the piston group. This composition is characterized by increased resistance to the effects of turbines, which eliminates the dry friction characteristic of cold engine starting or when driving at maximum speed. It provides an increase in the resource not only of the engine (according to the manufacturer, by 20 thousand kilometers), but also of the turbocharger (for 1 year). Among other advantages of Resurs Diesel, it is possible to note a significant decrease in lubricant fluid loss (by a factor of 3–5), a decrease in diesel fuel consumption (by 7–10%), an increase in engine compression (by 25–40%). The additive is recommended for use on vehicles with mileage greater than 60 thousand kilometers.
Resurs Diesel - a budgetary additive for diesel engines
Top additive rating with sealing properties
One of the most pressing problems that most experienced car owners are familiar with is the increased consumption of engine oil. Leakage inevitably results from the natural wear and tear of rubber engine parts designed to ensure the tightness of lubricated engine parts. A radical way to solve a problem is their complete replacement, which requires disassembly of the engine. Less time consuming, and often cheaper option - the use of special additives from the class of sealants.
We offer you a rating of additives to restore the integrity of the engine:
- Hi-Gear Gasket Seal - the best additive for sealing gaskets in the cylinder block and glands, referred to in the Russian trading network "Stop-leak." The composition of this additive is optimized to effectively eliminate oil leaks, representing a formula of polymer components, which, spreading through the lubrication system, penetrate into existing cracks and holes. By reacting with atmospheric air, these particles polymerize, sealing off any microscopic defects of gaskets / glands. However, the part of the additive that circulates through the oil channels, retains its properties until the next oil change, thereby preventing the formation of new channels of oil leakage. It is best to use the "Stop-leak" with a strong deterioration of both crankshaft oil seals and the appearance of oil stains in the places of their installation.
Hi-Gear Gasket Seal Sealant
- Additive Oil-Verlust-Stop from the famous company Liqui Moly refers to the sealants of the middle price class. Provides reliable and prompt elimination of leaks of oil pipelines of power units of any type. This additive is able to cope with defects in gaskets, oil hoses and glands, it makes rubber engine parts more elastic. When using Oil-Verlust-Stop, the manufacturer guarantees the reduction of noise emitted by the engine (this is especially true for diesel power units), as well as a reduction in engine opacity when operating at high speeds. This effect is achieved through a positive impact on the characteristics of the hydraulic compensators and oil scraps. The effect of a noticeable reduction in oil leakage is fully manifested after 500-800 kilometers. Of course, with large defects (for example, cuts of oil hoses) no additives, sealants can not cope.
- Among the additives that really help the internal combustion engines, it is impossible not to mention the Russian sealant AC-625. Its main advantage should be considered the affordability and the ability to quickly eliminate oil leaks in problem areas of the power unit. Additive can be used in diesel, gasoline, atmospheric or turbocharged engines. The principle of operation of the AC-625 is to soften the rubber products that ensure the tightness of the connections. No side effects from the use of sealant have been identified, and it will retain its protective properties up to the routine replacement of oil. The greatest effect is observed when adding an additive to the new motor a little during its replacement, but only under the condition that the engine warms up to operating temperature. The type of oil used does not matter.
Having considered which additives make life easier for gasoline and diesel engines, we can draw the following conclusions: for new cars or vehicles with low mileage, it is desirable to use additives from the group of geomodifiers. If the power unit is in the "pre-infarction" state, the best therapeutic agent will be potent compounds (Bardahl or Liqui Moly), but it should be noted that the "treatment" cannot be stopped, at least until a major overhaul - replacement of the motor.