Nowadays, it’s quite difficult to surprise by the fact that a radar detector is in the car’s cabin. Before you choose a radar detector for a car and purchase it, you need to decide on what technical characteristics of this device you need to pay attention to. Just before we clarify - many drivers are often confused, calling the radar detector an anti-radar. This is a little wrong, due to the fact that these two devices have a different principle of operation, therefore, they perform different functions.
- 1 How does the device work
- 1.1 Antiradar or suppressor
- 2 Types of suppressors
- 2.1 Legislation and the use of anti-radar
- 2.2 The frequency of the radar detectors
- 2.3 Signal processing technique
- 2.4 Types of devices
- 3 Price Range
- 4 Conclusion
How does the device work
The function of the radar detector - in advance to warn the driver about the presence in front of the traffic police post
Radar detector Refers to passive devices. Its main function is to warn the driver in advance about the presence of a traffic police station ahead, which measures the speed of vehicles with a special radar. And for the radar detector there is absolutely no difference whether this post is stationary or mobile.
Antiradar. It is an active device. The principle of this device is that it scans at the place of its movement all the frequencies on which police radars of the modern generation work. If the radar detector detects location equipment, it will send a strong suppressive signal in the direction of this device, which will be distorted by interference and will serve as an obstacle in order to determine the actual speed of movement of your car.
In the future, we will use both names, implying, however, radar detector. All because, unlike these anti-radars, they are not prohibited by the legislation of the Russian Federation. But a few words about these anti-radars, we still say.
Antiradar or suppressor
The device is a specialized device that detects the presence of location equipment, which is used by traffic police officers, in order to determine the speed of vehicles. Antiradar creates an obstacle to the correct operation of police radar.
Types of suppressors
The principle of operation of the active anti-radar
There are two main types of such equipment:
- Radar detectors, which serve for jamming. Principle of action: when the radar detector has detected the equipment of the traffic police service, an immediate activation of the function, which suppresses the signal, occurs. For about six seconds, it creates a stream of short pulses. These pulses prevent the police radar from returning the reflected signal. As a result, the equipment used by traffic police officers does not cope with its task, that is, it cannot fix the speed of a passing car.
- Radar detectors that shift the frequency of the location equipment signal. The device works in such a way that after detecting the location equipment, it captures the signal and decodes it. After that, the device generates its own very powerful signal, which clogs the reflected signal of the traffic police radar and sends it in the opposite direction, but with a shift in frequency. As a consequence, the radar of officers of the patrol service registers the speed of the vehicle, which is significantly lower than the actual speed.
Legislation and the use of anti-radar
These devices directly affect the speed radar functions used by traffic police officers.
It is important to know! In many states, the use of antiradar suppressors is illegal and punishable by law.
In the Russian Federation a fine is imposed on the use of this device. Its size is determined in accordance with Art. 13.3 of the Administrative Code.
The frequency of the radar detectors
The principle of the police radar
There are three main ranges:
- Range "X". Its frequency from 10,500 to 10,550 MHz is the oldest band. The first location equipment worked precisely in the "X" range. Nowadays, current legislation prohibits the use of traffic police service of this frequency to measure vehicle speed. (Act of January 1, 2012).
- The range of "K". The frequency of its action from 24050 to 24250 MHz. This is the most common range. It operates most of the locating equipment in our country, and in the vast majority of countries. That is, when choosing a radar detector, you need to ensure that the device you like can function in this particular range.
- Ka range. It operates at a frequency from 33400 to 36000 MHz. Most new range. Any location device that performs work at this frequency provides highly accurate results for determining the current vehicle speed. It has a long range, as well as minimal fixation time. "Ka" range is used so far only in the USA. In our country, at the present time, no locating equipment operating at these frequencies is used.
Signal processing technique
Receives all data from the radar using antennas, as well as sensor-sensors. The incoming signals are transmitted to the block that processes the received information. There are several types of processing used in modern devices:
Radar detectors equally well determine both stationary police radars and mobile traffic police posts.
- Analog method. It has a very low processing speed. Has the highest percentage of false testimony. That is why it is considered the most ineffective.
- Hybrid. It is also called “analog-figure”. It is the most common method used today to process signals. Differs in high speed. The percentage of false readings is minimal.
- Digital. Today is the most effective method of processing. This is due to the presence in the device of high-speed microprocessors that can cope with any array of information. It is thanks to them that the incoming signals are processed almost instantly, the number of false positives is almost zero, and the range is even higher than that of devices that process the signal using a hybrid method.
Наверное здесь и так понятно which radar detector is better. Поэтому располагая достаточным количеством средств, лучше остановить свой выбор именно на цифровых приборах. Если же бюджет ограничен, можно подыскать вариант устройства, использующего гибридный метод обработки данных.See also: How to choose a car compressor for tire inflation
Types of devices
Distributed radar detectors. Such devices install hidden. There are two types of spaced anti-radar: devices that are mounted in the car and installed under the hood. The main advantage of such devices is the possibility of their inconspicuous use, especially in countries where such gadgets are prohibited at the legislative level. In addition, such radar detectors are well protected from interference and equipped with sufficiently powerful processors, which, in turn, provide high performance data processing. A minus of such devices is high price
Distributed radar detectors are well protected from interference and equipped with powerful processors.
Wireless radar detectors. Devices of this type are powered by a mobile power source (own battery). Their big plus is mobility, and significant drawbacks are high price, poor protection from external interference, a small range of work.
Wired radar detectors. This is the most common type of anti-radar. Such devices receive power from the vehicle’s on-board network, thanks to which they are widely spread in Russia. Their undoubted advantages: a good degree of protection against interference, stability and high performance, a large detection range of location equipment.
As a rule, the price of the goods plays a key role in its purchase. The same with radar detectors. Like many other automotive devices, they are conventionally divided into budget, medium and premium.
In the budget category, prices start from around 100 US dollars. What can I say - there are budgetary ones. Here you can hardly find expensive materials or advanced technology. The reliability of such devices, as well as a set of functions, leaves much to be desired.
The undoubted plus of wireless radar detectors is their mobility
Devices of the average price range are anti-radars from fairly well-known manufacturers of digital and automotive equipment. The price of such devices varies from 200 to 500 US dollars. In short, in this price segment you can pick up a device with an optimal price-performance ratio.
Premium devices are, as you might guess, quite a high cost. However, this is justified by the fact that the most advanced technologies are used in such radar detectors. The overwhelming majority of devices of this class, among other things, are also equipped with GPS sensors, which allow the driver to be notified in advance about speed control cameras on the way. The obvious advantages of top-end anti-radar detectors are good functionality, protection from interference, high speed, design and a considerable radar detection range.
So which radar detector is best to purchase? Ovet is simple - it all depends on what tasks the driver entrusts to his anti-radar. Let's just say, for daily trips in our country, you can easily choose a very decent copy in the middle price segment. But going abroad, you should think about purchasing a premium device, because it is not known what equipment the traffic police use in the country you intend to visit. Therefore it is worth being 100% ready.