The acquisition of the first car after obtaining a driver's license is a crucial step, affecting the further level of comfort, features of operation and the formation of professional skills. Today, the consumer is offered a huge variety of vehicles. Before buying, it is strongly recommended to seek advice from experienced motorists and familiarize yourself with the selection criteria. Give a firm answer to the question of how to choose the first car no one can, you will be shown only different approaches and recommendations to this issue. It is important that the dominant role in this whole process is played not only by the commonplace choice of car brand, but also by its age, equipment, type, and also the features of the area where you plan to operate the vehicle.
- 1 Determined between supported and new cars
- 2 How to choose the first car for a newbie
- 3 Vehicle dimensions and practical appointments
- 4 Mechanics or automatic?
- 5 Engine cars for beginners
- 6 Buying a used car
- 7 Inspection of the car from the outside
- 8 Interior check
- 9 Engine condition evaluation
- 10 Pay attention to other details.
Determined between supported and new cars
There is a serious misconception that a newbie needs to buy first a simple and inexpensive used car of domestic production. This is explained by the fact that an inexperienced person can easily get into an accident, and buying a used car with much lower mileage will allow you not to be afraid of driving, as it would be on a new car. However, this statement is wrong, because at the subconscious level there is relaxation and the person significantly impairs his driving style. He has no motivation to drive carefully and attentively, with the result that accidents happen more often.
An important indicator is the fact that the new car reduces the risk of damage to a minimum. Newly minded drivers who purchase a supported car are not ready for the emergence of various kinds of breakdowns and the search for spare parts, which, in general, can be removed from production. If we talk about new foreign cars, there are also disadvantages here. Parts on them are expensive and the original ones are not always available. In addition, the dealer imposes to pass a scheduled inspection in elite services, where prices are decent, and the quality of the work provided is not inferior to ordinary service stations.
Of course, the equipment of the new car is scarce, there are no covers or carpets. We'll have to equip the car for comfortable use yourself, but you can at your discretion to issue a salon. As for the alarm, you will have to seriously consider the choice of protection. A new vehicle may attract the attention of hijackers.
Used or new?
There is another reason why buying a used vehicle is inferior to the new. Often the machines are in extremely poor condition, with a run of mileage, undergo cosmetic procedures that cleverly hide all errors. Even guided by the experience and support of friends, you can run into an unsuccessful purchase. In addition, taking the car with it, there is a chance to face legal problems. When registering it may turn out that the body numbers are killed, and the car is listed in the hijacking. Therefore, whenever possible, it is better to buy a car not from the hands, but from car dealerships, so you will protect yourself from losing money.
How to choose the first car for a newbie
First, we will touch on the general selection and purchase criteria, then move on to more detailed features. The first step is to prioritize the vehicle equipment. We recommend that your car includes the most significant list of functions:
- air conditioning - to ensure the desired temperature in the cabin;
- central locking - when you lock the car with a button;
- the power steering - that the steering wheel turned without application of efforts;
- ABS - when the brakes are pressed, the system performs staged braking;
- power windows - so as not to suffer with rotating handles;
- electric heating seats - provides heated seats in the cold season.
Inspecting the car before buying
Vehicle dimensions and practical appointments
Obviously, the dimensions of the machine should not be very long (class A or B). For those who plan to operate a car in an urban setting, this indicator is no less important, since a large car will create parking difficulties. The maximum class of the car, which is worth paying attention to - C, that is, the average size. When a car is needed for personal needs, that is, driving around the city using the trunk, then, as an option, a hatchback, since it is maneuverable and compact. When not more than two people are supposed to be transported, a three-door hatchback can be considered, because it will not only create maximum comfort when landing due to wider doors, but will inspire a sense of taste with its sports body. If the family has more than three people, then you can consider a five-door hatchback or minivan. However, in Russia it will be difficult to get a minivan, it can be replaced with the Lada Largus or its off-road model Lada Largus Cross.
For family people who also live in urban drawings and rarely out of the countryside, a sedan will do. Thanks to its long base, the car feels great both in the city and on the highway. But this transport does not quote for bad roads, as it has a soft suspension and low ground clearance. When family trips are frequent, you can look at the station wagon. This can also be attributed to the crossover. It comes with a single-axle drive and high ground clearance.
Cars for sale
For large families and lovers of traveling over long distances, the car must first of all be comfortable and economical. If we consider the car of the domestic auto industry, then the Lada Largus station wagon with a 1.6-liter engine on a manual transmission will be a good option. Positioned as a family vehicle with three rows of seats. A good alternative is a popular minivan in Russia - Opel Zafira. It has a 1.8-liter engine, and also works in tandem with the “mechanics” or MTA box (manual transmission with automatic shifting).
For traveling in sparsely populated areas, full-flowing station wagons such as the Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester are convenient, they perfectly feel the road and pass where a simple light car settles. Also, the four-wheel drive crossover will overcome the dirt and snow perfectly. Off-road vehicles, jeeps and pickups are difficult to manage due to the peculiarities of the chassis, as well as a large mass, so it is not advisable to buy such units for beginners. Most often they are used to underscore the status, this type of transport is convenient, safe and famous for traffic. In urban terms, it is not quite appropriate to use them, because it is difficult to find a parking place and there is a high fuel consumption, about 15–17 liters per 100 km.
Manual OR Automatic?
Mechanics or automatic?
To begin, consider why you need PPC? Without a gearbox car, will drive only in first gear. She will not even be able to move, and achieve the necessary speed, allowing to achieve the maximum speed of the crankshaft. Thus, the box is needed to adjust the speed at the right moment.
PPC is divided into:
- manual transmission (manual transmission) - type of transmission, where the switching speeds is carried out manually. It is considered a reliable classic, honed to perfection, it is not in a hurry to fade into the background until the automatic transmission is perfect;
- automatic transmission (automatic transmission) - here everything is done by the system, the driver’s participation in the gear shift is not required. The mechanism has a complex structure, which is not as reliable as mechanics.
Despite the late appearance of the automatic transmission created a furor in the automotive industry, as the control of the vehicle was minimized. Surely in a driving school you were trained in mechanics, although now you’ve begun to use the “automatic” as well. Why are driving schools taught in mechanics? Those who drove a car with manual transmission, easily adapt to the automatic transmission, but if the driver’s career was started with an “automatic machine”, then there are problems with the mechanics. On the mechanics gained invaluable experience, which, after all, is necessary in difficult situations.
When you decide to buy a used car, it is best to take on the mechanics, as it is more practical, but the machine will bring inconvenience. It is not known when the automatic transmission fails, its maintenance and repair is not cheap. A defect of the automata is the intolerance of swaying and slipping, and yet these actions cannot be avoided if the machine cuts into the ice track or dirt. If you do not take this into account, then within an hour of torment you can easily kill even a new automatic box. You can slip only on the mechanics, so if you live in an area with bad roads, stop at the manual transmission.
Engine cars for beginners
When choosing a car is not the last place is the engine. And we are not talking about his power, but about the type. An engine with low power is economical, so it’s best to limit it to 150 horsepower. There are three options for motors:
- Petrol engines.
- Diesel. Reliable and consume less fuel, but if they break, repair will be expensive.
- Hybrid (mixed view)connecting petrol and electric. Economical option, because a large consumption of fuel is only at high speeds.
As for engine size, fuel consumption depends on it. That is, the bigger it is, the more expensive is refueling the vehicle. For daily use of the machine, motors with a displacement of 1.6-2 liters are a good option. As for diesel vehicles, there is no bias in their account.
Buying a car
Buying a used car
Trustful and inexperienced customers are a kind of target for scammers. Remember that you risk getting hooked even in financial institutions, as scammers can easily hide under the guise of honest and respectable citizens. Every day the scheme of "divorce" buyers are improving, consider a few of the favorite schemes:
- Urgent sale - The ad says that the car is in good condition, but in reality it is a beaten and repainted pile of metal. Also, the car may be listed in the hijacking or to be not cleared. In order to somehow protect yourself, entrust the inspection of the means to a proven service center, in passing, make inquiries and order an examination at the traffic police.
- Credit fraud. When the driver, who took the car on credit, can no longer pay on time, the bank employee allegedly arranges a meeting with him, after which he terminates the contract, and the car is taken to the parking lot. As a result, after some time, the bank sends the next payment notice, as the citizen was called and made an appointment at all not by his employee. Know that the vehicle is your property; only executive services who previously informed you in writing with a court decision can pick it up.
- Group Buy. Several citizens throw off small amounts for the purchase of one car, then new participants join them as a result, the draw continues. The scheme is not prohibited by law, so in the case of fraud, you can not do anything. When purchasing a car from your hands, you should be aware that the transport has been operated for some time before you, and this could not and will not affect its body, engine, chassis and steering part. The main thing is to focus and analyze all the pros and cons.
Check the car before you buy
Remember, when buying a car, you need to be extremely careful, pay attention to all the little things, read the documents thoughtfully and not agree to dubious pyramid transactions.
Inspection of the car from the outside
Inspect the body for rust, do not forget that all panels must be the same color. In addition, when the gaps between the doors and the body, as well as the body and wings are different, it means that the car has been in an accident. Surely the body geometry was deformed, or the door was replaced by handicraft due to corrosion damage. Such a transport is no longer worth taking, because it will blow in the gap, the doors will not close well, and it is impossible to correct this error. If prekosy or bumps are in other parts of the body, this also indicates a postponed accident.
If you want to quickly understand how to properly check the car before you buy, be sure to watch this video:
Pay attention to the places under the doors. If there is rust on the thresholds or it is cleverly covered with “anti-gravity”, it means that the car was skillfully disguised before the sale. You can check the thresholds with a magnet, putting it in a piece of cloth and sweeping through the places to be checked. If everything is good, then the magnet will attract tightly, if the thresholds are filled with paper and simply smeared with “anti-gravity”, then the magnet will not attract. You should also visually check the bottom under the car - it should be smooth, without loose elements. After that, go to the hood, open and look at the seams of the wings, if they are not smooth and even more so have drips, then the machine suffered a frontal impact. In this case, it is better to refuse this vehicle.
We evaluate the condition of the seats, salon, trim, torpedoes. We ask the dealer to run the car, and then we compare the data with the speedometer. You can check the veracity by looking at the pedals. When they are erased to the holes, it means that the car passed over a hundred thousand kilometers. If the pads are new, and the speedometer gives a more “colorful” picture, then they are trying to hide the mileage. Further, just look on sensations, whether management and an arrangement of other elements is convenient.
Engine condition evaluation
When visually inspecting the engine, there should be no oil and tape residues. After we start the engine, it should start with a half-turn, work evenly, cleanly and without emitting extraneous sound vibrations. We check the smoke in the exhaust pipe, which should be transparent or barely noticeable. When it is gray - it means the engine oil burns through, that is, the oil wiper caps and rings are damaged. The motor in this case requires maintenance. If the smoke is white, the motor overheats and coolant flows into it. Maybe it will cost a change of gasket, and it may be necessary to level or replace the head.
Check whether the coolant in the engine is easy. Remove the dipstick, if it is clean and there are no drops on it, then everything is fine. As a rule, when flowing, the liquid in the oil rolls into balls. You should look at the Thermostat, for this we start the engine and wait until it warms up to 50–70 degrees. We touch the pipes at the radiator, the top should be warm, but the bottom one is cold. Warm up the lower pipe should only be at a temperature 85–88 degrees.
Pay attention to other details.
- Tire covers must be worn evenly, if they are different, then there are problems with the suspension system or the geometry of the body.
- Shock absorbers - on the corners of the body should push hard and release. The machine should go up, and then sit down a bit and stop. When the car continues to swing shock absorbers unusable. To be sure, you can check them visually through the wheel holes for the presence of leaks.
- Brakes - you need to get into the car and strongly press the brake. The pedal should move half, not reaching, the floor. Hold the pedal so for a while, it should not fall.
- Hub bearings - Shoot the top of the wheel, there should be no tapping.
- Steeringand - Here we swing the wheel to the left - to the right. If there are extraneous sounds, it means there are backlashes. After spin the wheel and see how the wheels react.
However, even after such a check, it will be better to drive the car to the service station so that the specialists can diagnose all systems.