The removal of the battery may be required in different situations. For example, when updating, repairing or selling a car. The disconnection process itself consists of simple and understandable actions. Everyone who knows how to use a screwdriver and a wrench will cope with this business. However, there are several important points that must be taken into account, since it is possible to accidentally spoil the working systems of the engine. The proposed article provides comprehensive information on how to remove the battery from the car.
- 1 Features of the approach
- 2 Precautions
- 3 Security measures
- 4 Dismantling the battery
- 5 Acid Battery Cleaning Process
- 6 Features dismantling car battery
Features of the approach
Almost all car manufacturers put the instructions for dismantling the battery in the instruction manual. Therefore, all the necessary information is there. Sometimes there are such machines that have a special shield to turn off the mass. Also, some models, in case of unexpected disconnection of the battery, are equipped with a toggle switch. These details should pay attention during the study instructions of the car.
Additionally, you can protect yourself from slipping the spark by buying an inexpensive fuse. It is attached to the negative wire of the battery. It is necessary to handle the battery very carefully. Careless actions can destroy the tightness of the battery. In this case, the electrolyte will begin to leak through the cracks, which will damage the device.
The battery is strictly prohibited:
- Turn upside down or to the side. In this position, the electrolyte closes the vent holes;
- Throw, hit or hit the battery;
- Drain electrolyte. Such actions will precipitate precipitation, which will cement all the holes;
- Beat the terminals with a tool, thereby trying to install them on the pins;
- Store used batteries, especially in places with low temperatures;
- Use brute force in the process of unscrewing or installing;
- Add acid and electrolyte to battery. Only distilled water can be used.
Carrying out work in this direction requires the following tools and special tools:
- Clean rags or paint brush;
- Neutralizer activator reaction. It is used in case of spilling electrolyte.
Before you start dismantling the battery, it is worth checking the presence of grounding on the case and remove it.See also: Which spark plugs are better to choose
Attention! Battery contains hazardous sulfuric acid!
It is important to understand that you will have to work with caustic substances, so it is best to think in advance about your actions in case of electrolyte leakage. Here are some security measures:
- When using acids it is necessary to prepare alkali. This may be a solution of 10% ammonia or soda. Alkaline batteries will require a weak acid solution;
- Places of electrolyte are treated with appropriate substances. This applies to the surfaces of the car and the skin of a person. Hands are protected with thick rubber gloves, glasses are worn over the eyes, and all other open parts of the body are covered with clothes;
- All work is done on the street or in a garage with good ventilation and lighting.
Dismantling the battery
Removing the battery is the following sequence of actions:
- Dismantling the elements of thermal insulation (if any).
- Remove plastic protective caps.
- Disconnect the terminal with a negative sign.
- Remove the clip with the designation "+".
- Unscrew the battery locking metal strips and nuts.
- The device is removed from its place.
The procedure for removing the battery from the car
The installation of the battery is performed in the reverse order, from 6 to 1 operation. The battery can be equipped with a decorative casing, which must be removed, slightly prying it with a screwdriver.
Acid Battery Cleaning Process
For a start, a number of preventive measures are required. Cleaning the battery starts with the removal of existing traces of sodium carbonate. Plugs of removed batteries are checked for tightness. In order to neutralize the electrolyte, the lid is treated with a solution of soda ash or baking soda. Next, the excess residue is washed with water, and the surface of the cover is wiped dry with a rag. With the plates, strips, plugs and mounting holes removed, you must do the same.
Then you need to clean the vents. Such prevention must be done at least once a month. Vents are located in the construction of colored plugs and the easiest way to find them in the middle cells.
Particular care should be taken to those batteries in which the battery is located in a special compartment. Such a construction would be an ideal place for accumulation of precipitated electrolyte, dust and dirt. If you ignore the regular cleaning of the battery, especially in summer, the electrolyte will evaporate and contribute to the sulfation of the plates, which will damage the battery.
Oxidation of car battery terminals leads to poor contact
In the case when the battery is very close to the exhaust manifold, it is better to isolate it using a simple metal screen. Such a measure is relevant in hot weather. In winter, it is recommended to use thermal energy from the radiator to heat the battery. This will improve the performance of the battery and save its charge.See also: Which company battery is better for auto
The withdrawn battery requires checking the current voltage, density and electrolyte level. If necessary, a charger is connected to the battery, eliminating traces of corrosion paths and loose oxides.
Features of dismantling the car battery
In order to finally understand and understand how to properly remove the battery from the car, you need to know a few important nuances:
- All work is performed with the engine off. Any attempt to test the generator with the motor running without a battery will cause a power surge. For a standard system, an unexpected increase in voltage will not cause harm. But fine-tuning electronics do not withstand such tests and fails. This mainly concerns the alarm system. Settings of other devices and even the on-board computer are reset. Motorists also claim that airbags may work for this reason;
- What battery terminal to shoot the first special role does not play, in any case for electrical devices there is no difference. But it is still better to disconnect the negative terminal first, and only then with a plus sign. The fact is that the negative contact is connected to the car body, and if you use the tool carelessly, you can randomly connect plus to the mass. In this case, a short circuit may occur, but if the “-” has already been disconnected, then nothing terrible will happen.
Studying the main points of removing the battery will allow you to carry out the entire process, qualitatively and effortlessly, from dismantling to installing the battery.