Operation of the car is unthinkable without bringing it to the proper appearance. The first thing that comes to mind is washing. This is the easiest and most obligatory way of caring for a vehicle. And periodically it is recommended to wash not only the body and the interior of the car, but also its engine. If everything is clear with the body wash, it contributes to the preservation of the paintwork and improves visual perception, saving the car from road dirt. Why wash the engine, because it still gets dirty quickly?
No one argues that the engine needs to be constantly washed. There are no specific recommendations regarding the frequency of this procedure, but the experience of car owners suggests that it is desirable to wash the “heart of the car” at least twice a year. And it is better if it will be washing the engine with your own hands, because no one takes care of the car better than its owner.
- 1 The question of seasonality
- 2 The question of reasonableness
- 3 Wash yourself
- 4 Motor washing technology
The question of seasonality
Washing the engine is no less important than washing the car body or inside the car.
It is optimal to wash the engine in the spring and autumn season. Washing the engine in the winter is also an acceptable option, but it is problematic because of the cold and less effective, since dirt on the surface of the engine quickly accumulates again. Actually, the dirt in winter is an anti-icing chemistry with which city utilities process the road surface. It gets on the surface of the engine and provokes its corrosion. If all this does not frighten you, and you decide to wash the engine in the winter season, do not forget to dry it thoroughly, as it can freeze and fail.
Question of reasonableness
Is it necessary to wash the engine, as they say about her? First, it is necessary for the motor to "breathe more freely." Seasonal slush and dust create an overheating layer on its surface. Of course, the dirty engine will not boil, but failures in its operation are not excluded.See also: How to replace valve guide bushings
Secondly, a clean engine is like a clean board, on which any appearance of technical liquid spills will be evident. If there is a leak of oil or antifreeze from under the cylinder head gasket, a layer of dirt will not hide it. And the sooner you find a malfunction, the greater the chance that you will eliminate it with minimal effort and money.
To wash the car's motor is best to get special tools.
Before proceeding directly to the process, let's find out how to properly wash the car engine:
- Моющие средства. Сегодня при входе в автомагазин от широты ассортимента средств для мойки разбегаются глаза. Чем мыть двигатель автомобиля – дело хозяина. А вот от чего стоит отказаться, мы подскажем. Худший вариант – жидкость для мытья посуды Фейри. Безусловно, жир от тарелок она отмывает хорошо, но никак не машинное масло. Второе место в рейтинге самых неподходящих средств для мытья моторов занимают бензин и керосин – может возникнуть их воспламенение. Поэтому лучшим решением — специальная chemistry for washing the engine.
- Washing equipment. Thinking about how to wash the engine yourself, you should pay attention to the high-pressure apparatus (like Karcher). Do not interfere also stock up a pair of brushes of different sizes for cleaning hard-to-reach places of the motor. The presence of waste is not even discussed.
- Before embarking on this responsible procedure, decide in advance how you will dry the engine. The compressor is the best possible option, but in its absence you can use both a vacuum cleaner and cans with compressed air, which are sold in computer stores.
Are you ready now? Then we start!
Motor washing technology
It is most effective to dry the engine after washing with a compressor
- Cool the engine, it should not be hot. Otherwise, any detergent on it will either boil or dry out.
- Disconnect and remove the battery. Using scotch tape and polyethylene, isolate all nodes (especially those related to electronics) that do not tolerate moisture. These include the generator, connectors, fuse box, electronic control unit, etc.
- Apply detergent to the entire surface of the engine and wait for the time according to the instructions.
- While the chemical performs its function, with a brush, pay attention to all hard-to-reach places of the motor.
- Wash off the resulting foam. If necessary, repeat the procedure if some areas are not completely cleared.
- Remove the polyethylene used for insulation.
- Everything, the sink is finished. It's time to start drying the engine. Pay special attention to the location of the spark plugs.
- After thorough drying, start the engine, listen to how evenly it works.
No problem? Fine! So it's done right, and you can do something else or quietly go to rest. By the way, an independent car engine wash not only gives you confidence in the quality of the perfect procedure, but also allows you to save about 500 rubles, saving you from having to go to a car wash.